[Novalug] Protecting an SSD

Ed James edward.james@gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 07:16:56 EST 2012

Assembled Wisdom,

My daily-driver PC uses only a flashdrive as a HD.  I'm looking at
ways to reduce read/writes to it, hoping that keeps it alive a bit
longer.  It's not a critical device - this has been more of an
experiment than anything else, but still...

I do a lot of compiles to create (temp) .o files and rebuild static
and/or dynamic libs when I'm on a coding binge. So, for the .o files,
I create a ram disk in the current dir:

   mkfs -q /dev/ram1 10240  #NOTE: 10 MB is way more than I need
   mkdir -p RamDisk
   mount /dev/ram1 RamDisk

When I'm done with it, I remove it with:

   umount RamDisk
   rmdir RamDisk

Question: are there other situations where this trick could be applied?

adTHANKSvance,
Ed James