[Novalug] more on maount iphone solution

Don E. Groves, Jr. dgrovesjr@gmail.com
Tue May 29 05:25:16 EDT 2012

You do realize that there is a simpler way to get the data off you
(i|smart)Phone don't you?

 BTW it doesn't involve plugging your phone in other then to keep it
charged.

How you ask? Well there are two ways and both work:

  1)  Create a Google Account (or use one you already have) and setup your
phone to SYNC with it.  (also handles address) There are instructions on
line. Once that is done with you WEB Browser goto log into your Google+
account -> Photos -> From Phone  and browse do as you like with your photos.

  2)  On you phone install DropBox  and in it's setup enable syncing of
photos  (you decide Wireless or Data)
      Install DropBox on you computer (with the same account ID)
    after a little bit
      Open your DropBox folder on your computer and Browse/Edit your photos
as needed.

Each has it's own advantages and/or disadvantages, so try both to see which
you like better.
  Note: Nothing says you can't have both active at the same time.
--
  DonJr

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Bonnie Dalzell <bdalzell@qis.net> wrote:

> well sometimes reading too fast results in serendipity
>

> when i was working my way through the post at:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/iPhone#Configure_the_iPhone.2C_part_1
>
> i misinterpreted this section to mean that the three lines following were
> the mounting script. so i copied them and pasted them into a document i
> saved as mount-iphone.sh and then i put it in bin and set the execution
> bits and unplugged and replugged in myu iPhone and then ran:
>
> mount-iphone.sh mount
>
> and it worked.
>
> * For those who prefer to simply copy a few commands, the script basically
> does this:
>
> ###lines pasted into script (eleminate wraps - there are only 3 lines##
>      idVendor=$(lsusb -v 2>/dev/null | awk '/idVendor.*Apple/{print $2;
> exit}')
>      iSerial=$(lsusb -v -d $idVendor: 2>/dev/null | awk '/iSerial/{print
> $3; exit}')
>      gvfs-mount afc://$iSerial/
>
> ####end lines pasted into script####
>
> however on rereading the article i discovered that the script was a
> separately downloadable file so i downloaded it and saved it and ran it
> and it did not work.
>
> however the script I saved works on my xubuntu oneiric system :-)
>                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
> mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
> shipping adddress:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
> Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
> breeder, computer nerd & iconoclast... Borzoi info at www.borzois.com.
> HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS
> www.boardingatwedge.com

Don E. Groves, Jr.