[Novalug] Disimprovement (was: php vuln. web pages)

American Dave Kline novalug@soupy.org
Sun May 20 11:39:31 EDT 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 09:58:16AM -0500, Beartooth wrote:
> On Sat, 19 May 2012, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
>
> > it is frustrating to me that "advances" in computer languages
> > often seem to result in making older creations obselete for no
> > obvious to me except to increase the complexity of the program
> > or web page or whatever. [...]
>
>  	You have lots of company. Quite a few long-time
> subscribers to the list Gmane calls fedora.general have been
> opting out of Gnome3 in favor of xfce.

In short, "can't stop progress".  Strongly opinionated persons like
myself that doggedly cling to a certain way of life are fine -- if we're
swimming with the current.

There's a general disdain for people that say "Patches welcome."  That
said, in Free/Open software it's a true meritocracy.  You really can
submit patches, you really can fork the software.  In the case of Gnome
3, you can even run in fallback-mode for a Gnome 2 experience.

I don't think people should be dismissed if they have differing
opinions.  There is a huge difference between opinions and work.
There's a shortage of the latter.

Best regards,
-A. Dave