[Novalug] Encryption software

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Tue May 8 16:17:37 EDT 2012

On 5/8/2012 3:35 PM, American Dave Kline wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 03:24:18PM -0400, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
>> What makes you say that? That is one of the raisons d'etre for
>> snapshots. Now if you want to get Religious about things, you would need
>> to create the snapshot when the disk was unmounted, or at least tell
>> your applications to "flush their state".
>>
>> Elaborate please.
> A snapshot is simply copy-on-write deltas of the origin device.  Only when a
> snapshot is mounted or read it can present a single context of its
> origin device in addition to any changes since snapshot creation.
I think you have a different definition of the word "backup" than I do.

If you are trying to get me to say "...and mount it read-only", you have
succeeded. Once it is mounted, it looks like a copy of the original
filesystem, no?
> In short, backup a snapshot only and you merely have deltas and no origin
> data; not mountable or usable.
I meant "backup at the filesystem level", as a collection of files.
> Best regards,
> -A. Dave
JIM