[Novalug] Question about file system formats

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Fri May 4 16:18:10 EDT 2012

In the past I had been using ext2 on the / partition and then ext3 on the
other partitions. I am actually not sure why. When I installed Linux
Mint last week and let it choose fs type the installer suggested ext4.
So that is what I did. I am going to be consolidating a lot of files and
emptying out partitions.

Is there any reason to prefer one over the other. Is the journaling
to protect if there is a machine crash better with the higher
number fs?

I just unmounted the newly emptied partition and ran

sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sdc

on it.

Part of the report is:

Filesystem state:         not clean

I was thinking I might as well reformat it and there is no reason to
leave it as ext2.

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping adddress:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com