[Novalug] Xbuntu 12.04 Not Ready for Prime Time

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Fri May 4 13:41:56 EDT 2012

On 5/4/2012 7:28 AM, jerry w wrote:
> one bug does not a release make trash...
It depends on the bug. RHEL 5.7 *as released* contains a broken rsync...
> unless very critical bug affecting most people...
...meaning that CentOS 5.7, Scientific 5.7 and any other rebuilds are
UNUSABLE.

Well, at least with the rebuilds you can do a yum update, but RHEL 5.7
without a License is Useless.
> Having played with Alphas and Betas and
> encountered many bugs, and reported them,
> I would say, just one person complaining that I can see,
> it'd be called success...
Assuming that they will LISTEN. Now the rsync bug is a No-Brainer, but
then, you wonder...How Did They Miss THAT?

Also, the Fedora people, as well as the Gnome and KDE people seem to
persist on Removing Functionality and Frankly Not Giving a Damn about
what anyone else thinks.

Fedora's Crimes:

+ removing the Speedometer, the list of Packages/Size/Time Remaining
during install
+ removing Package Sort-By-Size from yum installs
+ deprecating Text Only installs that will do Everything...at least in
English
+ other stuff I can't remember

KDE's Crimes:

+ replacing konqueror with dolphin in KDE4
+ konsole's default should be "run as a login shell"
+ other stuff I can't remember
+ given that Gnome3 is so much worse...I'm back to using KDE4

Gnome's Crimes:

+ GDM has no way of selecting other Sessions...KDE, LXDE, etc
+ gnome-terminal's behaviour should be "run as a login shell"
+ No way to get "focus follows mouse/autoraise" out of window manager
+ other stuff I can't remember
> oh, and there's the idea that the source is open,
> so bug fixes welcome...
True...altho it's easier to Detect a bug than to Fix it.
> i'd cross post to the DCLoCO list
> with permission, of course
> or better yet launchpad where bugs
> are formally reported for Ubuntu
Of course you have permission! Both these lists should be cross-posting
to each other anyway.
> (from someone who usually doesn't like stuff,
> and finds problems with everything,
> as a depressive...)
Just the things that are Broken.

JIM