[Novalug] VirtualBox flash drive

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Mon Mar 26 16:44:56 EDT 2012

Three things came together to stimulate this post.

1. Various discussions on booting linux from a USB thumb drive
2. Best Buy having a sale on SanDisk drives that stick out
   only a quarter of an inch
3. Seeing a few articles about putting a portable VirtualBox
   onto a USB thumb drive and running linux as a guest

It would be nice to carry around a persistant copy of a linux
system.  I see pros and cons about the approaches in 1&3.  For
example, if I'm going to use someone's computer, would they be
happy about me shutting down their system and possibly mucking
with their BIOS to boot from a USB stick?  On the other hand,
I think using a VirtualBox approach would be specific to the
OS.  Or could multiple VB's (ones for linux, windows, and mac
hosts) be installed but all share a single guest linux?

Has anyone used the VB approach?  Comments on it?

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)