[Novalug] T-Shirt design page updates with Mark Mertz's designs

Dave Aronson tux2dave@davearonson.com
Wed Mar 21 09:44:10 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 20:17, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd
<JECottrell3@comcast.net> wrote:

> I am speaking of Emacs, Richard Stallman, and Free Software.
> P.S. The BSD Demon would also be a good choice.

Nice things though they may be, there's the question of what
marketroids would call "brand dilution".  If we're going to maintain
an identity as the Northern Virginia ***LINUX*** Users Group, methinks
Linux, and its symbols, ought to be the primary, if not only, focus of
our visuals... and of our slogan as well.

My suggestion: combine the two clock ideas (plain hands with open
source symbols, and Tux with plain numbers).  Put a large Tux in the
middle, surrounded by small open source application symbols.  Leave 6
in characters rather than icons, but lowercase Roman numerals rather
than an Arabic digit.  (All the more reason to put Emacs at the top,
directly opposite.)  His flippers still indicate 10:00, and still put
"NOVALUG" under him -- or possibly under the whole clock, so as not to
claim him as ours specifically.  With Tux as the primary visual, the
current slogan won't take *too* much emphasis away from Linux IMHO, so
we could put "10 am isn't too early" around the top, and "for open
source" around the bottom.  (I think we should leave some space
between the two parts.  Or we could separate them with two more open
source app symbols.  That could get confusing, though, unless we also
put a rim around the clock itself.)  We *could* also put names under
all the icons, to help the public realize just who Tux is (i.e., the
Linux mascot), and publicize the other apps.

Whatcha thinka dat?

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson:  Available Cleared Ruby on Rails Freelancer
(NoVa/DC/Remote) -- see www.DaveAronson.com, and blogs at