[Novalug] Fill in the blanks?

jerry w jerrywone@gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 10:00:12 EDT 2012

inline

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Jeff Stoner <leapfrog@freeshell.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, jerry w wrote:
>
>> would be neat to see a talk on shell scripting
>> ;-)
>

> "a talk"? It would have to be a series of talks. Where, o where to begin?!

Greg: Sign this man up for a series!

Back to Basics:
Including some hands on group hackfest
(open channel, or grab emails =
 receive code snippets/ versions/variations,
-> to machine and coder with projector,
for all to see, also saves
"what did you say?"
"can't hear you"
typing issues, etc.
)
when appropraite

> Some things I've learned about shell scripting over the years:
>
> - there's always more than one way to do it

TIAMTOWTDI
What's that you say?
Ruby?  I don't know ruby...
You did it in Haskell?
ZetaLisp? What's that?
Oh, Scheme

> - there is no "right" way

for what values of $right?

I had someone tell me he was an egoless
programmer, I told him he'd be the first
I've ever met since starting circa 1978

> - cross-platform shell scripts are not fun to write

wasn't that why Perl was invented?

> - a lot of "shellisms" are not a result of the shell but other tools

> (differences between vendor's awk/gawk/mawk, Basic RegEx vs. Perl-compatible
> RegEx vs. Extended RegEx, etc.)

Regex is usually a topic in and of itself
*awk could be too...
charts of vendor $compliance to standards
two features on other axis?

> - different distros do things differently

Gentoo and Arch don't seem to do it For me,
damn them ;-/

> - vendors ignore the LSB to their advantage and detriment

examples?

--
Jerry W