[Novalug] coding for testing

Richard Rognlie rrognlie@gamerz.net
Thu Mar 8 20:26:09 EST 2012

If you subscribe to any of the "Agile" models... test driven
development is *KEY*.

this allows for a developer to verify that a given set of code modules
are working as expected before they start wonking with with.
and verify again afterward that their change had no unexpected
bad side effects.

And if, after putzing with the code, the regression tests fail,
you know it's something *you* did... maybe intentionally.  Maybe not.

but it gives you a touch point to go and check first before checking
the code in and breaking it for EVERYONE...

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 02:22:11PM +1300, Mark Smith wrote:
> I was having a discussion at the office today.  The coders here are
> entirely against writing a single lick of code where it's purpose
> will be to support the testing of the software.
>
> That got me to wondering... I wonder how other software developers
> feel about writing code to help software testing.  Is my company just
> a one-off?  or do the majority of software developers feel the same way?
>
> --
> Mark Smith
> mark@winksmith.com
> mark@tux.org

 /  \__  | Richard Rognlie / Sendmail Ninja / Gamerz.NET Lackey
 \__/  \ | http://www.gamerz.net/~rrognlie    <rrognlie at gamerz.net>
 /  \__/ | Creator of pbmserv@gamerz.net
 \__/    |                Helping reduce world productivity since 1994