[Novalug] Software-based load balancing

Brander Snaxe brandon20va@yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 20:48:00 EST 2012

I have deployed pfSense in my home lab and definitely may consider it's options.

Do you know if the pfSense load balancer is layer 4 or layer 7? What implementation is used?

Maybe I can get started with a solution that is simple now like pfSense and then move onto something more elaborate later (if necessary).

----- Original Message -----
From: John Place <jplace@unixsage.com>
To: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Sent: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Novalug] Software-based load balancing

These are active/standby redundancy implementations... pfSense does in
fact have a load balancer built in and it works reasonably well, given
your diagram you could have a single firewall with many interfaces if
that helps simplify your deployment..   HA-proxy works well also, have
used this with a fairly large implementation... Disclaimer I was using
haproxy+stunnel because I had a SSL/TLS requirement...

Good Luck
John