[Novalug] Removing security pass phrase for Apache

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Mon Mar 5 21:03:24 EST 2012

In order to start Apache (httpd) with mod_ssl support (so I can use https), I
created the self signed certificate, with security pass phrase.

It seems like in order to start httpd without human interaction, namely
entering the pass phrase during service startup, you need to remove the
encrypted piece of the key so httpd will start without human intraction.

So, what is the best way to ensure on a reboot or cool start httpd will start
without me being at the keyboard?  Is there a way to feed the pass phrase
automatically, or would that procedure be just as "bad" as removing the pass
phrase.

Jay