[Novalug] EeMachine mini tower EL1200-05w anyone ever put linux on one?

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Sun Jul 29 11:09:56 EDT 2012

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012, Clif Flynt wrote:

> Hi,
>  You might be able to down-grade the graphics to a VESA driver,
> instead of the presumed-buggy nvidia driver.

>  Also, while the open source nvidia drivers have various issues, you
> can also download a driver from nvidia.  I've sometimes had to
> back-track a few drivers to find one that will work with particularly
> flaky hardware.
>
>  If you have a spare drive, I'd install a potential Linux on
> that and then tweak the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (possibly stealing
> one from another machine), or install the non-OSS nvidia drivers.

a suggestion worth trying. thanks

right now i do not have a spare SATA drive. I want one for purposes of
experimentation. found one for $29 at Nexttag -an 80 GB one at. Hmm looks
like a drive for a laptop. I guess i need to check the ancient spare
laptop i have to see if the connectors on its drive match the sata
connectors in the eMachine.

>  Once you're sure things work, you can re-do the installation on
> the real disk.
>
>  (Or just give in and declare the old windows system toast, and start
> installing over it, or try partition magic, or other variants.)

i have thought of that option - but I was afraid if it failed - it would
make the computer have no value as a trade in. at least now it presents
itself as having a windows install even though it does not boot cause
of the hal.dll problem.

>  Clif

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com