[Novalug] Not your normal consumer WiFi router

John Place jplace@unixsage.com
Fri Jul 27 09:44:59 EDT 2012

I have had good luck with linksys, I use APs not routers and it has been
my experience that the APs (any brand) work better (transmit and
Receive) than their router counterpart.. I do not own stock or sell them
just stating I have had good luck..

I have no idea what your living situation is but I had a similar
experience a few weeks ago. My AP is pretty old at this point and was
having issues so was preparing to replace my aging AP.. By pure dumb
luck I fired up my wifi analizer app on my phone and noticed a new
station on my same freq/channel and just as strong. I changed channels
and my problems immediately disappeared. I live in a condo complex so
the congestion here is pretty high so this may mean nothing to you...

I recently bought a pair of buffalo airstations. I use it to get from my
TV to where my internet is (running cable in my condo is not fun) and I
am happy with them also. The have 2 10/100 ports on them so the one at
the internet side acts as an AP and the one behind the TV acts as  as a
client which my DVR and streaming server use. I also have a roku box
that connects via wireless to the internet buffalo also which improved
performance. There is little congestion there so it served two purposes.
1) better performance streaming (says 300Mb/s I have seen 100Mb/s) 2)
move that traffic off the G network where I use cell phones and laptops
(where 54M is not an issue)...

Just my 2 cents
John