[Novalug] comcast vs. verizon

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Wed Jul 18 14:34:40 EDT 2012

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, sean@mcgowanet.com wrote:

> 1.)  Am I crazy?  I have been burned by comcast before with random outages
> and while they say I will get 30/6, I am a little skeptical.  How is
> comcast's performance these days (I will be in Ashburn)?

 	Can't tell.

> 2.)  comcast has a datacap of 250GB.  the salesperson swears there is no
> throttling, simply a letter is sent to offer other services.  Has anyone
> had any experience with this?

 	News to me.

> 3.)  If I do continue down this path, I will need to purchase a
>     cable modem and a router.  I have been relying on the lousy
>     actiontec with FIOS, but would like something I can flash
>     if I am going to buy my own.  Does anyone have any
>     experience/reccomendations for these two items?

 	Comcast's Blacksburg office is only half a block from my
usual computer store. I took a Linksys router from one to the
other, and had them vet it. I've been running dd-wrt on it for
months.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Sometime Historian of Tongues
Sclerotic Squirreler, Double Retiree, Linux Convert