[Novalug] meetings

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Wed Jul 18 09:23:15 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 17:22 -0400, Scott Gates wrote:
> Install fests are a tad like recruitment drives--you'd have to find a
> space, advertize, and be prepared for a whole buncha noobs.

I guess the definition of an install-fest has changed - at least for me.
I think we're way past the "what's the Linux thing" - and even if we do
manage to find one or two who hasn't heard or tried it, installing Linux
is not the test in computer science it once was (as you point out, a USB
and you're up and going).

To me, an install-fest is more about getting to network and help
each-other making features like web servers, mail servers, file servers
etc. working. Talking about what software should be used, maybe download
and install it right there. Sorta wetting each-other's appetite in
what's possible with software we may not have heard about. Maybe someone
want's to know how to install some of the platforms we've talked about
over the last few months, or you want to run a file-server at home and
feel meddling with tons of configuration files is too tough. SELinux
comes up over and over at our meetings, so if you feel it gets in your
way when you install your httpd server, I see an install fest as a
perfect opportunity to show and tell and maybe someone can show you
right there what you're missing?

I would hope that any install-fest we do is more than just installing
the OS. I can think of so many subjects that come up on this list which
would be great topics for some to do: Virtual machines, NFS, Encrypting
partitions, manual configuring networks etc. etc. etc.

--
Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull
by the tail and face the situation.
		-- W.C. Fields