[Novalug] UPS/Generators

James Tuttle jwtuttle@gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 16:55:29 EDT 2012

That's one route I suppose, but another option is to dilute it (at a
ratio of 3:1 or 4:1) into new gas with some fuel stabilizer and just
burn it off.  That's what I've typically done with fuel that's
accidentally left unstabilized.

Technically you are supposed to bring it down to one of the haz-mat
collection points (in Fairfax there is one down on 95 and another out on
66), same as old paint, thinner, etc.  But the only time I'd waste the
stuff completely is if it's actually dirty / dark (pour it into a clear
bottle to see) or contaminated with something else.

I'm told the problem with "old gas" is generally that it absorbs water
and that it can sometimes be rejuvenated (enough for power equipment
anyway) with Dry Gas or other winter fuel additive ... but I've always
just diluted it way down to be safe.

-James