[Novalug] outdoor ethernet cable, falacy of lightening arrestors.

James (Jim) Darlack jmdarlack@yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 18:45:17 EDT 2012

It doesnt have to carry the lightening, just give it a lower impedance than other paths.  Hense, lightening rods.

At.. what is the rule of thumb in atmosphere at sea level.... 1/4"=10,000 Volts?

Soooo. how many quarter inches between earth/ground, and a storm cloud.

And, with that high voltage, and incredible high frequency, since it is a pulse, and mammoth amounts of current?  Definately it has a mind of its own.

One of the funniest fads, were lightening rods, with round 1/4" or smaller aluminum wire from the rod to ground, even if it had a loooooong grounding rod, salt liberally sprinkled with lots of water to let it soak.  One minor zap, and any round conductor offers such a lower impedence to the pulse?  Vaporized.  May help channel the lightening.  And generally  single shot solution

The solution, typically, is a very thin, 2" or wider copper foil from the lightening rod, to the ground rod, with NO kinks.  Flat is far lower impedance to lightening/pulses.

And lets not get starte how to EMP proof an encousure!  Faraday cage?  Been there, did that, RF continues to leak in.

SCIF?  Hmm... I hope that it is never tested for EMP... accept in a certification labroatory.

What we do for EMP testing, is a pittance to the real thing, ie, ligthening and air bursts.

And to boot,  years ago, there was a  presentation that indicated to run wires thru conduit, and that wasnt necessarily EMP proof.  At best, it is MASA (mutually assured stone age).

Soooo keep all tube radios, old manual generator, and get lots of excercis, touching your toes.  One day it may come in handy to bend over, and kiss the world good bye.  At least, you possibly will have an interesting final view.

Totally UN-CLASS, college physics.  Who knows what is recomended today.

South West email, we will get letters...   Flame on, my friends.