[Novalug] Anybody had success using NX Server to speed up RDP?

Brander Snaxe brandon20va@yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 16:26:42 EDT 2012

Thanks. From what I know, NX pretty much acts as a proxy for all the protocols it supports, thus possibly improving the speed using the NX protocol.

I am aware it is a Linux server product, but since it's a proxy it should not matter.

We do indeed have *NIX servers that they access using SSH. However, we still have Windows servers, too.

Regarding free vs commercial. I could just use multiple instances of freenx in LXC instances on a single VM-one per developer who actually needs it. That is, if it does actually improve the speed.

________________________________
 From: Crawford Rainwater <crawford.rainwater@linux-etc.com>
To: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Cc: brandon20va@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Novalug] Anybody had success using NX Server to speed up RDP?

Brandon:

I think there might be some confusion of what NX actually is or does here.

NX is SSH with compression of a X-Window (typically Gnome or KDE desktop) client/server setup.  So for "faster", yes, NX can assist with that primarily due to the compression factor.  The "free" (as in no cost) version from NoMachine permits up to two (2) concurrent users at once on a system as well.  The commercial versions have the specifics on NoMachine's web site (http://www.nomachine.com ).  The server side is limited to Linux and some *NIX systems (Solaris IIRC) with the client being cross platformed.  There is also a web client that I have not used nor tried, but I hear is fairly good.

So with that said, and assuming your team in India is accessing *NIX systems...why not just use SSH for CLI access to KISS? ;-)  Or were you thinking perhaps NX could go on Microsoft Windows Servers instead?

HTH.  For reference, I receive this list in Digest format, so pardon any delays in responding in advance.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.