[Novalug] Fios (John Kennedy)

jecottrell3@comcast.net jecottrell3@comcast.net
Mon Jul 2 12:02:21 EDT 2012

Incentives to switch? Business people don't read Aesop's Fables, do they?

I have had Comcast Internet for about 10 years now, and while they have occasionally had problems with DNS there are a few easy workarounds.

[1] Use Google DNS. Easy to remember: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
[2] Run your own DNS Caching Server
[3] Reflash your router to DDWRT. It will also run a caching DNS Server.

JIM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger W. Broseus" <rogerb@bronord.com>
To: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:33:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Novalug] Fios (John Kennedy)

We have the three pack - TV / phone / Internet. All work well.

Look for incentives to switch! I got money (a sizable credit) for switching
from Comcast.

FIOS Internet is much better - faster, no more DNS problems, etc. Little
significant down time - only when a tree took out a cable.

Tech support / customer support sucks for the most part (not as bad as
Comca$t). Example: if you have Verizon cell service, you can have a free text
message sent if a VM comes in on your home/land line. However, few people at
Verizon know how to set it up! Many don't even know the service exists. So,
you can go in circles.

When my contract ran out, my bill jumped $30 per month. I called and
complained loudly, Finally, "retention" ratcheted back to less than I was
paying - slowed down Internet speed a bit but it's running (now) 24 Mbps down,
5.2 up.

You'll need to replace the sealed lead-acid battery once every couple of years
or so. Don't buy from Verizon - go web to save $$.

--
Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
     Email: RogerB@bronord.com