[Novalug] connecting two computers together

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Tue Jan 24 16:50:14 EST 2012

Nino,

See comments inline.

> Hi,
>
> putting the subject matter in google gives me all kinds of hits,
> but I'm not competent enough to untangle them all. So, I'm asking
> for a little guidance.
>
> I have 3 computers connected to a single wireless hub that talks
> to the wireless transmitter on FiOS. Another one is stand-alone,
> also wireless but with a wireless card: it also has an ethernet port.

Are you saying the 3 PCs are connected via ethernet to the wireless hub, or
connecting wirelessly to the hub?

> Question 1: Is it possible to connect by ssh from one of those hub-connected
> computers to another one? How do you find out which IP address
> to use?

yes, regardless if wired or wireless, you should be able to connect.  What you
need to do is configure the PC you WANT to ssh INTO (called the 'server') to
allow for ssh connections.  If Linux box "ifconfig" at a command line will
show up all interfaces on the PC and you should be able to determine the IP
address.

You will need to enable/run sshd on the connecting PD (the one you want to
connect/log into.

Next, on the other PC, run a command like

ssh [user]@Server_IP_ADDRESS

ssh root@example.com

ssh root@70.32.86.175

Shown are 3 different instances of the ssh command

Post back if have other questions.

Jay

> Question 2: can you do the same through the wireless? Or is it better
> to run another ethernet cable to the hub (which allows another connection)?

Yes, works the same way.