[Novalug] MAC mini PPC and Ubuntu

Mark Metz mametz@aol.com
Mon Jan 23 10:18:57 EST 2012

The last PPC install I did was on a PowerBook G4 Titanium last month.

I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Gnome 2) from here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads) and everything worked out of the box except wireless WPA/WPA2 encryption (Wireless networks are visible, but can't authorize.  I think this has something to do with the Gnome Network Manager).  It works with WEP and under KDE if memory serves from previous installs.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Howell <keith.c.howell@gmail.com>
To: mark <mark@winksmith.com>
Cc: novalug <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Sent: Mon, Jan 23, 2012 7:23 am
Subject: Re: [Novalug] MAC mini PPC and Ubuntu

Mark,
You can choose any window manager you want. Ubuntu is based on Debian
nd other than some specific UI tweaks that Canonical made, most
esktops should be available.
It is unlikely that you will have to re-compile anything for the older
ardware. The last PPC machine I had was a Blue & White G3 and
verything just loaded and worked.
The apt repository will be the debian one. Packages are managed by the
ame tools apt and dpkg (or synaptic/aptitude etc).
The only thing it will cost you to try it is the price of a recordable
D and the time to download and install :)
--
eith