[Novalug] January Meeting-- Go or No GO (VOTE !)

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sun Jan 8 23:53:44 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 09:28:55PM -0500, W Alan Day wrote:
> If you hold it, I will come.
>
> I have put kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot up on a thumbdrive that boots on
> my old IBM T42 and macBook.  When I reloaded it, had trouble getting the
> broadcom wireless driver to load -- something about it being blacklisted
> -- used muon to install a driver that works.
>
> If someone can explain the blacklist of a device driver, it might be a
> worthwhile talk.
>
>      Alan

Blacklisting is a mechanism to avoid having a device driver module
auto-loaded by the kernel.  Two of several reasons this might be
desireable include if a module was known to be defective or maybe
you need to control the sequence of module loading and prefer to
load some modules manually.

To blacklist a module simply create a file in /etc/modprobe.d
such as the following from my system.

  $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-visor.conf
  blacklist visor
  $

HTH,
Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)