[Novalug] n00b questions for today

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Mon Feb 27 12:21:17 EST 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 15:43 -0500, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> It seems to me that one of the things needed so that a person could write
> a truley cross platform GUI program is a widget library form Perl, python,
> php etc, that is consistant across the various OS's: Linux, OSX and
> Windoze and easy to install.

That exists. Have existed for more than 2 decades now. The problem is,
that you're using the "lowest common denominator" so when users want the
latest and greatest on the platform they are on, the TK simply doesn't
cut it.

Besides, the world is moving from the fat client to a very thin client
based on a browser. Cloud based software like Google Apps, or a lot of
the apps you  have on your phone are all really running in the cloud -
not on your device. The advantage of course is, that it will run on any
platform.  If we ignore the differences between the browsers that is ;)