[Novalug] MAC mini PPC and Ubuntu

Mark Smith mark@winksmith.com
Sat Feb 25 02:50:09 EST 2012

hey a quick summarization of my efforts for this.

i had problems with installation, but eventually overcame.  the system
boots reliably and runs as expected.  at the end though i have some major
problems.  getting software to run on PPC/linux architecture is the key.

the applications i really want to run, don't.  those are skype, minecraft,
and world of warcraft.

it looked for a while like skype was gonna come through, but it's closed
and it looks like it'll be staying closed.  if i could find a way to
run i386 on my PPC i suppose it'd work, but that doesn't seem likely on
practical reasons.

minecraft is java based and should run, but although it starts, downloads
some goodies, and tries to run, it eventually gives up the ghost with
some sort of i386 related incompatibility.

world of warecraft is a lost cause.  it runs on windows and linux/i386.

clementine crashes when i play music.  banshee runs.

youtube.com doesn't play.  flash doesn't seem to work.

at the end of the day if it was just for editing files and simple web
browsing, it'd probably work, but i don't think it'll work for my needs.
too bad, i thought i had a use for an old computer.  perhaps, it'd be
a nice server or something?

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 02:46:59PM +1300, Mark Smith wrote:
> Hey... I was gonna buy my daughter a smallish desktop computer for her
> room, but then i remembered that i had a MAC mini (one of the older
> PPC varieties).  I had originally purchased it due to its size and
> noiselessness; both of these features will be helpful here too.  It's
> not the latest and greatest, but for her needs it should be completely
> adequate.
>
> I looked it up for Ubuntu and it turns out that it's supported in a
> fashion.  I have 32b PPC for 11.10 and 11.04.  At least it's way better
> supported than by Apple!
>
> I found the right images to try and I found some documentation to help
> me along. Has anyone given this a go? or has some additional comments
> regarding this platform/os combination?
>
> --
> Mark Smith
> mark@winksmith.com