[Novalug] ubuntu problem with repositories

jecottrell3@comcast.net jecottrell3@comcast.net
Wed Feb 22 15:35:18 EST 2012

Here's one....

test -w /

is a quick and dirty indication of whether or not you are root.

There are two ways it can fail, of course.

JIM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed James" <edward.james@gmail.com>
To: "NOVALUG" <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:10:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Novalug] ubuntu problem with repositories

Bonnie,

   In my / directory I have a document named IMPORTANT_NOTES.txt.  It
contains reminders for these oddball situations, tips I've gotten from NoVaLUG,
unusual commands, and "what did I do so get <XXX> working".  I back this
file up to my website.  I download this file to every machine I use.  I print
it out and stick it in a pile of important papers.

   Hmmm...maybe 5 years from now NoVaLUG can have a contest for the
most useful/interesting IMPORTANT_NOTES.txt file that we members
have?

Ed James