[Novalug] where *should* I put jboss-as?

jecottrell3@comcast.net jecottrell3@comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 14:14:25 EST 2012

/opt does indeed stand for Optional.

/etc is a fine name, altho /conf or /cfg might have been better

Also, a lot of stuff was moved out of /etc during the Big Reorg, like utmp and wtmp.

JIM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nino R. Pereira" <ninorpereira@gmail.com>
To: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:02:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Novalug] where *should* I put jboss-as?

Should I assume that this is in the LSB?
> When it is provided in the distro it goes into
> /usr
>
> self built
> /usr/local/
>
> 3rd party
> /opt
This seems a really nice and logical division of responsibilities for
these directories, perhaps apart for the name 'opt'. This makes
me think of 'optimized' or 'optima', or 'optional', none of which
suggests that this directory has 3rd party software in it.

Names like 'tmp' and 'var' are much better, and to my mind
'etc' isn't good either.

NIno