[Novalug] where *should* I put jboss-as?

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Wed Feb 15 17:25:36 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 04:59:20PM -0500, greg pryzby wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Jon LaBadie <novalugml@jgcomp.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> This is killing me. ?I tried not to respond. ?/opt is uncivilized.
> >> /usr/local is the tasteful, nay, one-true-way to place user-accessible
> >> software not already provided by the operating system.
> >>
> >> I have nothing other than argument by assertion :)
>

> Took you long enough :)
>

> > And not responding until a balancing ballot was needed :)
> >
> > /opt as a separate file system for software obtained from
> > sources other than the distro's repo's. ?/usr/local for
> > locally developed software. ?It should also be a separate
> > file system or I'll often make /usr/local a link to /opt/local.
>
> And that is what people who have been admins before this new fangled
> Linux showed up did.
>
> it *should* be an rpm and then the issue goes away.

No, that addresses a separate issue.

Whether a software package is bundled as an rpm or not
doesn't affect where it does, or should, install.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)