[Novalug] CentOS 6

greg pryzby greg@pryzby.org
Wed Feb 15 07:06:58 EST 2012

THIS IS MY OPINION AND DOES NOT REFLECT THE OPINION OF MY EMPLOYER

1) Nobody has to be certified.
2) I had 0 respect for certification base on my interaction with
people who had certs (specifically MS*)
3) I have my opinion on education in general

As part of my employment I had to get my RHCE. I had heard about the
high failure rate and how hard the test was. I had LPI and other Linux
certs that I took cold without any class. I decided to take the RH300
class before the test.

I am happy I did.

After taking the class and test I understand the value of the cert.
The idea is that if someone receives a certification from RHT, they
know X, Y and Z. As an employer, you can except certain knowledge and
skills that were tested by a 3rd party vs someone saying they know
something. The hands on is an objective way to test.

There are problems to solve and things to do. The only thing that
matter is that you achieve the result asked. It doesn't matter how you
do it. You can be creative if you want.

Personally if I have the chance to hire someone w/ an RHCE or not for
a Linux position, I will hire the RHCE.

I do think the test is worthwhile and for anyone who has had a
discussion about education with me, that is a big deal.