[Novalug] CentOS 6

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Mon Feb 13 09:06:08 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 14:36 -0500, Dan Lavu wrote:
> Speaking of the exam, I have my RHCSA and RHCE scheduled for February
> 24th and this is the first time I'm taking them, any study
> suggestions? I've gone through all the study material on the website,
> I can comfortably do 85% of the tasks. Right now I'm just going
> through and playing around with commands, getting more comfortable
> with luks, selinux and just stuff I don’t use on a daily basis. Thanks
> for any advice.

It looks like you've already gotten good advice here. Again, I can only
parrot everyone else and say that specifics about the exams are for good
reasons secret - even though the exam constantly changes so even if
someone just took it, you may be getting questions about something
completely different.

One thing I would mention is that the system is setup to help you manage
your time. Take advantage of that. Don't waste your time with one issue
if you can simply move on and if there is time later, go back to the
problem children.  You do not need to have everything done perfectly to
pass. All of that will be explained before the test begins.

I've never really read a 3rd party study guide so I don't know if they
cover the subject correct or not. Read the description of RHCE and given
your background you should be able to determine what general types of
tasks will be on the test. If you use Linux (not particularly Red Hat)
daily things are going to be easier. If you find yourself having to
write notes a lot, you need more exposure.

One thing I would point out that you can use to your advantage is that
"man" is available during the test. Don't sweat if you cannot remember
the commands 100% - man is always there to help you along ...

Lastly if you haven't taken the test before at all, I agree with Greg's
suggestion. Take the class first. What you can do after the class is NOT
take the test right away, go back and study based on what you learned,
and then take the test later without additional cost.

--
Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day: