[Novalug] Please help - error: unknown filesystem. grub rescue>

John Christopher john.christopher1100@yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 09:03:45 EST 2012

I am using Ubuntu 11.10 on a laptop with an SSD.

While installing a package, the laptop completely locked up.
I had to pop out the battery to get the laptop to respond.
When I turned it back on, it displayed

error: unknown filesystem.
grub rescue>

I rebooted with the Ubuntu install CD, selected "Try Ubuntu",
opened a terminal:

$ dmesg | grep EXT

[   14.718812] EXT3-fs: barriers not enabled
[            ] EXT3-fs (loop1): using internal journal
[            ] EXT3-fs (loop1): 2 orphan inodes deleted
[            ] EXT3-fs (loop1): recovery complete
[            ] EXT3-fs (loop1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode

What should I do now?  Is my data gone?  (I have a backup, but
I would lose about a day's work if I have to reinstall).

Thanks for your help.