[Novalug] rtkit-daemon

Don E. Groves, Jr. dgrovesjr@gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 22:24:20 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Nino R. Pereira <ninorpereira@gmail.com>wrote:

> (snip)
>
> The daemon turned out to be in /usr/lib/rtkit; I decided to move it
> somewhere else, and to replace it with
> a fake file just in case there was a check somewhere else in the system
> that might replace it in its absence.
> Then, I googled for 'rtkit-daemon', and read that it was some kind of
> scheduler and completely innocuous.
> However, I had mistakenly deleted the program 'rtkit-daemon' so I could
> not put it back even if I had
> wanted to do that.
>
> But, the result is good: the laptop no longer freezes.
>
> Does anyone have some insight in what happened here? Did I do the right
> thing, or messed up something
> that will bite me later on?
>
> Thank you

Nino
   For information on the package that contains 'rtkit-daemon' see:
      http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/rtkit

  To REMOVE the package completely you might try:
     # sudo apt-get remove rtkit
or
    # sudo apt-get purge rtkit

To install it again try:
    # sudo apt-get install rtkit
       (: you may or may not need additional switches :)

Next time before you remove an unknown file (that may or may not BREAK
things) try:
    dpkg-query --search /usr/lib/rtkit/rtkit-daemon
      ( replacing the '/usr/lib/rtkit/rtkit-daemon' with the name your
querying about.)

Do note it is most likely that the 'rtkit' package is NOT the problem, but
only the poor messager <GRIN>. Most likely the cause is some other
package/program that uses 'rtkit' to update/enforce it's
Policy/configuration.

Don E. Groves, Jr.

Tag it's your turn now... ... ....