[Novalug] email etiquette

Nino R. Pereira ninorpereira@gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 11:13:12 EST 2012

List,

'tis the holiday season, and rather than wasting money on paper greeting
cards and
postage for snail mail, some of my friends and colleagues send me best
wishes by email.
When personalized these sometimes start with 'dear (my name)', 'hi' (my
name), or
simply with my name, without a separate greeting. And, some end with
'best', or
'thank you', or other end-of-email greetings.

Is there any accepted etiquette for greetings in emails? What do you
use/prefer?
Any arguments for whichever choice you have?

Thank you (which is appropriate here because I ask for your time and
thoughts).

Nino