[Novalug] Linux T-shirts

Mark A. Metz mametz@aol.com
Sun Dec 9 11:13:59 EST 2012

Hello All,

Here's the update on the status of the logo/shirt idea.

Even after getting only a few submissions for art relating to a shirt,
we were heading down the rat hole of decision (or lack thereof) by
committee.  We apparently don't even agree on whether the group is
novalug, NoVALUG, NOVALug, NOVALUG, etc.  So rather than trying to reach
a consensus or get a majority, I suggested (following Jason Kohle's
example) we put ALL the designs on a production site like Zazzle.  That
way anyone could order whatever design they liked, pick their own
color/size/style of shirt, etc. Although this might end up a little more
expensive per person in the end, the powers that be were fine with that
suggestion because it would cut down the work for any one individual
(i.e., no taking orders, no finding a printer, no delivery, no money
collection, etc.).  People who are uncomfortable with e-commerce can
have a friend by one for them.
I submitted a design to Zazzle and they jacked it up pretty bad. They
refunded my money, but before I could research another production site
or work out the kinks with Zazzle the next issue came up, money.

Because NOVALUG is a not-for-profit organization, I didn't want to
channel money in my name for NOVALUG through a site like Zazzle. The way
the site works is any individual/organization with a Zazzle account can
let their designs be used by the general public, but the account holder
gets a cut of the sale.  Greg Pryzby suggested I work through Tux.org to
take care of the money.  Long story short, as you may or may not know
Tux.org is reorganizing, I'm now the treasurer, we're going to have a
bank account again soon, and we can get this shirt idea back in motion.
Just for the record, any of my designs will be completely open so if any
one wants the originals and do their own printing they're welcome to
it.  Otherwise, I will be donating my designs to Tux.org, NOVALUG, or
any other LUG who wants designs so my work can start generating funds
for Tux.org.

All that being said, I am not the official representative for NOVALUG
design and/or trademarking so any one else should feel free to fork, I
guess with Greg's blessing.

Later,

Mark