[Novalug] kppp dialer on CentOS6.3

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sat Dec 8 00:04:05 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 07:14:48PM -0500, Dave K wrote:
> Howdy:
>
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 06:38:36PM -0500, Jay Hart wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > Walt may live in the country and can't get high-speed internet.  Seriously!!
>
> I certainly appreciate the speed of broadband, no question.  That said,
> dial-up made you do a bit of work to get connected.  You had to listen
> to a device make an analog connection, and by the tones you immediately
> knew if there was a problem.  You had to bargain with others in your
> house to use the line, and you had to hope nobody would grab the phone
> before something important completed.

As we already had four phone lines in the house, adding a fifth
as a dedicated 24x7 modem line was no big deal.

> Inefficient, slow, error-prone.  Fun nonetheless.

Yup, it was fun trying to get a Princess style phone to
insert properly into the suction cups of a 300 baud modem.  ;)

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)