[Novalug] kppp dialer on CentOS6.3

Dave Aronson tux2dave@davearonson.com
Fri Dec 7 21:54:58 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Dave K <novalug@soupy.org> wrote:

> dial-up made you do a bit of work to get connected.  You had to listen
> to a device make an analog connection, and by the tones you
> immediately knew if there was a problem.  You had to bargain with
> others in your house to use the line, and you had to hope nobody
> would grab the phone before something important completed.

AND WE LIKED IT!  ;-)

But seriously, yes, I amazed some folks at work in the mid-90s,
diagnosing a V.32 connection problem by listening to the modems trying
to handshake.  And occasionally the wife would pick up the phone to
make a call, while my BBS was already making a call, delivering mail
for Fidonet (and similar networks).

-A(nother) Dave

--
Dave Aronson, the T. Rex of Codosaurus LLC,
secret-cleared freelance software developer