[Novalug] kppp dialer on CentOS6.3

jecottrell3@comcast.net jecottrell3@comcast.net
Fri Dec 7 10:59:24 EST 2012

Dialup? SERIOUSLY???

Cable Modem costs about twice as much, and goes about 100 times faster.

What you may be missing is Hardware vs Software Flow Control. This is a function of [1] the Computer, [2] the Cable, and [3] the Modem, and [4] The Software settings on [1] and [3].

The following page should be a great help. You need a 'straight thru cable' to pass everything listed in the Signals section (you can omit Ring Indicator if you won't be dialing in).

Also pay attention to the RTS/CTS Handshaking.

Before you try dialing automatically, make a manual connection and make sure you can type AT commands at your modem. Reset the modem to Factory Defaults, then look at each register a decide on which changes you need to make.

You might also look at the 'setserial' command.

JIM

P.S. Dialup? SERIOUSLY???

----- Original Message -----
From: "Walt Smith" <waltechmail@yahoo.com>
To: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:11:21 PM
Subject: [Novalug] kppp dialer on CentOS6.3

hi,

I'm looking for someone who got this to work.
(unless you spot something glaringly obvious ).

(CentOS Gnome network Manager doesn't have the dialer)
which I use inn F12 and before that in F10 etc ...

It's the same external modem for a number of years and works on F12.
** I can't seem to access the modem on com1.

In kppp, the "Query modem" seems to be the only thing to work.
Makes no sense (yet).
Configuration is /dev/ttyS0, I've tried 9600 to 56k, 8N1, CR and CR/LF,

On initialization, the terminal window ( under kppp) shows ATZ, and then
wait wait wait wait wait. In the kppp term window ( the app has it's own
window) , I try entering "at" or "atz" or anything
else ( ctrl-m, ctrl-j )and it just hangs. I have seen modem lights on occassion with
a very slight illumination, but can't capture the data.

I tried in a term
$cat /dev/ttyS0
and can get +++ATH in a virt term.but thats all.
Can't remember howto loops in bash to try to capture any other returned strings.

but before I go too far with bash crap,

I did try minicom. (I did not try wvdial ).
I've used minicom before and set port to /dev/ttyS0,
9600-8N1, and the only thing I get in the term window
is the string minicom sends to init the modem. (but I'm not sure the data
is going out the port) Again,
I don't seem to be getting return data, and also have
*no reason to believe the data is sent from the PC to the modem*.
( I tried and didn't see /dev/modem ( no links) and also didn't see
any /dev/cua devices in /dev). (F12 and F10 used /dev/ttyS0)

I Had been using both kppp and minicom as root just to keep trying.
I did get around to adding /etc/kppp.allow file with
users root and mylogin. kppp started OK. I sometimes used both
and regularly removed the lock files ( so I know about that ).

Didn't see much of anything after a google search on this at all.