[Novalug] kppp dialer on CentOS6.3

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 17:11:21 EST 2012

hi,

I'm looking for someone who got this to work.
(unless you spot something glaringly obvious ).

(CentOS Gnome network Manager doesn't have the dialer)
which I use inn F12 and before that in F10 etc ...

It's the same external modem for a number of years and works on F12.
** I can't seem to access the modem on com1.

In kppp, the "Query modem" seems to be the only thing to work.
Makes no sense (yet).
Configuration is /dev/ttyS0, I've tried 9600 to 56k, 8N1, CR and CR/LF,

On initialization, the terminal window ( under kppp) shows ATZ, and then
wait wait wait wait wait.  In the kppp term window ( the app has it's own
window) , I try entering "at" or "atz" or anything
else ( ctrl-m, ctrl-j )and it just hangs.  I have seen modem lights on occassion with
a very slight illumination, but can't capture the data.

I tried in a term
$cat /dev/ttyS0
and can get +++ATH in a virt term.but thats all.
Can't remember howto loops in bash to try to capture any other returned strings.

but before I go too far with bash crap,

I did try minicom. (I did not try wvdial ).
I've used minicom before and set port to /dev/ttyS0,
9600-8N1,  and the only thing I get in the term window
is the string minicom sends to init the modem. (but I'm not sure the data
is going out the port)  Again,
I don't seem to be getting return data, and also have
*no reason to believe the data is sent from the PC to the modem*.
( I tried and didn't see /dev/modem ( no links) and also didn't see
any /dev/cua  devices in /dev).   (F12 and F10 used /dev/ttyS0)

I Had been using both kppp and minicom as root just to keep trying.
I did get around to adding /etc/kppp.allow file with
users root and mylogin.  kppp started OK.  I sometimes used both
and regularly removed the lock files ( so I know about that  ).

Didn't see much of anything after a google search on this at all.