[Novalug] How to change a file's permission question

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Tue Aug 28 15:14:00 EDT 2012

As other people mentioned, you meant to say getfacl and setfacl.

There are many reasons that they never caught on:

[0] even you must not use them very often if you forgot their names
[1] they haven't traditionally been supported via NFS
[2] Ken and DMR didn't see fit to put them in
[3] They really aren't necessary

As a matter of fact, people don't use Groups to their Full Potential.

Yes, I will grant that UNIX permissions are crafted in some Very Clever
but Non-Traditional ways. People seem to want a Delete bit, an Extend
Bit, and possibly some System Bits that override Root Privilege, and
OMG, we have just re-invented VMS File Permissions. Non necessarily bad.

It was A Good Thing when the BSD people added Supplementary Groups to
Processes; they should have added them to Files and Directories as well.

If you look at what people are trying to do with all these ACLs, you
might come to the conclusion that perhaps they should be using Version
Control Systems or Content Management Systems.

I think that some people want ACLs in UNIX because they exist in Windows
and they want to deal with the same model.

JIM