[Novalug] I found a consequence in Perl - 32 bit to 64 bit

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Mon Aug 13 16:52:57 EDT 2012

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, sean@mcgowanet.com wrote:

> On 2012-08-13 12:10, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
>> thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>> well i did set my db up initially with mysql. however the dog
>> pedigree db
>> has a lot of many to many records and the traditional db managers
>> like
>> mysql do not like many to many records.
>
> many-to-many relationships can be done in relational dbs.  google
> "junction table" or "linking table"
yes indeed and you end up with one record scattered over abunch of
different tables.

with the multi dimensional hash of hashes I have one dog record in one
element of the hash  and one human record in one element of a different
hash of hashes.

conceptually a lot easier to understand and a lot less to mess up.

this mysql php based pedigree database that I found, set up and played
around with had over 15 different tables. i did not like that.