[Novalug] friend new to linux (mint) has wireless problem

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sat Aug 4 00:08:41 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 05:17:23PM -0400, sean@mcgowanet.com wrote:
> On 2012-08-03 16:20, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> > she has verizon
> >
> > right now latest mint xfce install does not find wirelss card in her
> > lenovo thinkpad laptop (prior to 2011 -don't have model number right
> > now )
> >
> > she does not know what the password to her network is.
> >
> > when she called verizon they told her to make up one when logged in
> > on the browser page as admin.
> >
> there is a difference between the password for the wireless network and
> the password for the router.  if she has a direct connection to the
> router, then in a browser the url 192.168.1.1 will let you login to the
> router.  old fios routers used username: admin password:  password1.
> Newer routers have the information fixed to the side of the router
> itself.  Once you are in the router, you can setup the wireless network.

I've seen two of Verizon's Actiontec routers in the past year.  Each had
the admin password set to the serial number of the router.  The SN can
be found on a label on the bottom of the router.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)