[Novalug] ubuntu problems - so trying linux mint

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Sat Apr 28 00:13:45 EDT 2012

I have a old athlon that I built in 2002 so it is long in tooth.

I was using xfce desktop with Ubuntu 10.10 but I really disliked
gnome 3 so I had not upgraded. I also disliked the disruption that
uupgrading caused to my system around half the time when I upgraded.

10.10 is now past its support date.

Before that happened however I was having increasing problems with my old
system hanging up and having to reboot. Often it came when the browser was
running but other times it came when I was running gnomem-commander or
other things such as fslint or graphics programs.

I ran memcheck and the memory passed with no problems. Still I was getting
freeze ups with top showing 100 cpu use before the freezes.

I finally got a partition cleaned out for a roto installation - on a
harddrive and installed the Xfce version of linux mint and I have had no
system freeze ups for three days now.

I can still boot into the ubuntu installation and after I get everthing
working with my mint I am going to go back and try doing an upgrade on the
ubuntu side or I might just to an install of Ubuntu Studio (which has the
XFCE desktop as default). 12.04 over the old 10.10 system partition. I
have different partitions for root, home, var and swap on my first
harddrive and then linux mint has the same set of partitions on my second
harddtrive.

I understand that linux mint has rolling updates so there is no problem of
having to do a major upgrade.

have any of you used linux mint?

Of course I should get a different main computer but I like my case with
the window in the side and the flashy lights on the fans. Maybe I can just
put a new mother board in it.

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping adddress:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com