[Novalug] wifi crumminess

John Atkeson jcatkeson@gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 11:55:32 EDT 2012

For some reason my Xubuntu laptop keeps dropping its connection to our
household wifi and won't successfuly reconnect until I reboot (the
Windows-user solution for everything).

The system is dual-boot to Win7, and the Win7 side never has this
problem, so it is not hardware.  Even Xubuntu only started doing this
recently.

So at the very least I am looking for a way to 'reboot' just the
networking processes on the laptop without having to restart the whole
machine.  I've been trying out iwconfig (no good because this is
WPA2), wpa_supplicant, "/etc/init.d/networking restart" and the
NetworkManager GUI.  Chimp-with-sledgehammer approach is not working
out so far.

So what is the correct way to kill all wireless/networking processes
down the the bone, and then restart them?

(Of course the right answer is to fully diagnose and fix the problem,
but that is a level of expertise above me right now.)

Thanks,
John