[Novalug] Mythbuntu - Setup Help Needed

Roger W. Broseus RogerB@bronord.com
Mon Oct 31 16:02:04 EDT 2011

Keith, Andrew and Greg,

Thanks for the advice - I'll start with the suggestions made by Greg.
Also, see if there's a diff in what I see on-screen when unplugging the
input to the PC - sometimes the simplest approach is the most elegant.

Output from FIOS: I'm using S-video out from the set-top box (STB) to
S-video in on the capture card. Must use the STB because, as I understand
it, incoming is encrypted.

I especially appreciate the fast response. I've been corresponding with an
antipodal person in New Zeeland and we are out-of-sych, time-wise.

I like your ideas more better.

Yes I have seen pages like, e.g.,
   http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600
   http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-1600
Problem is they are somewhat out-of-date. The first page is "locked." I
did verify that
    dmesg | grep cx18
gives the correct output, implying that the proper drivers are part of the
Mythbuntu install. And, my capture card is said to be supported in kernels
since ~ 2.30. Mythbuntu is far beyond that.

This can wait until I experiment some more: I have already posted several
logs, dmesg, etc., at bronord.com/myth/

--
Roger Broseus
   RogerB@bronord.com