[Novalug] Amanda and Virtual tape issues

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Wed Oct 26 14:03:46 EDT 2011

A first suggestion is to post your query to the amanda-users mailing list.

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 11:20:38AM -0400, Nick Danger wrote:
> Additional Data, it seems to be something to do with the log files, and
> the fact I am missing something on some tapes?
>
> 200 Working date set to 2011-10-26.
> Warning: no log files found for tape Wallingford-08 written 2010-03-17
> Warning: no log files found for tape Wallingford-07 written 2010-03-16
> Warning: no log files found for tape Wallingford-06 written 2010-03-15
> Warning: no log files found for tape Wallingford-05 written 2010-03-14
> Warning: no log files found for tape Wallingford-04 written 2010-03-13
> Warning: no log files found for tape Wallingford-03 written 2010-03-12
> Warning: no log files found for tape Wallingford-02 written 2010-03-12
> Warning: no log files found for tape Wallingford-01 written 2010-03-12
> Warning: no log files found for tape Wallingford-09 written 2010-03-12
> Scanning /u00/amanda-spool...
>

> I just recovered some older files off tapes 12,13,14 and they were fine.
> So what does this 'no log files found' mean and how do I fix it?

The log files were created during the backup and typically are in
<amanda_conf_dir>/logs.

They are rotated and discarded, but if the tapes are still active
they should not have been deleted.

Are you telling amrecover which systems are the index and tape servers?

> On 10/26/2011 10:25 AM, Nick Danger wrote:
> > I have been running amanda for some time but its been quite a while
> > since I had to recover a file. And I have a problem now. When I run
> > amrecover, I can see the files, I can select what I want to recover and
> > then it asks me for the "tape". Which I select in another bash using
> > amtape. And then i get this:
> >
> > 	oad tape Wallingford-4 now
> > 	Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]? Y
> > 	set owner/mode for '.'? [yn] y
> > 	amrecover: amrecover: pipe data reader has quit: Broken pipe
> >
> > 	extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
> > 	Continue [?/Y/n/r]?
> >
> > I am assuming that I am calling the "tape" incorrectly on the amrecover
> > command line? All I seem to get (if I keep retrying) is a 0 byte file in
> > the recovery point.
> >
> > Continue [?/Y/n/r]? r
> > Extracting files using tape drive chg-disk on host hopback.wlf01.dsl.net.
> > Load tape Wallingford-4 now
> > Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]? Y
> > restore: ./named: File exists
> > restore: ./named/chroot: File exists
> > restore: ./named/chroot/etc: File exists
> > set owner/mode for '.'? [yn] n
> > amrecover: amrecover: pipe data reader has quit: Broken pipe

The "file exists" messages suggest you are recovering into the
file's original location.  I'd strongly urge you not to do that.
Get into the habit of recovering to an empty space and when you
have the files you want, move/copy them to the proper location.

One reason for this is a scenario where you ask amanda to restore
a directory (i.e. all the files under it).  It restores the dir
to the status of your specified working date, including deleting
files that did not exist on the working date.

> > I put the full thing up on pastebin if anyone has ideas/wants to see it.
> > http://pastebin.com/QnKiHHUE

If amrecover continues to cause problems consider using amrestore.
Its not interactive like amrecover.

It appears you are using vtapes.  If so, and you are not spliting
your DLEs across multiple tapes, you can also access the DLE
directly in the vtape directory.  It will have the 32KB header
followed by the backup file (I assume it is a gnutar file).  Use
dd to strip the header (dd -bs 32k -skip 1 -ifile <DLE_file>) and
pipe that directly to tar to list or extract the files.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)