[Novalug] file and DR backups all in one

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Sun Oct 23 12:14:20 EDT 2011

On 10/22/2011 06:17 PM, Miguel Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I´m looking for a free or open source tool to do file backups and
> system DR backups all in one
>
>   I found Drive XML and seems to do the job but before start
> installing and evaluating other software.
>
>   My intention is to backup 3-4 Windows machines and linux servers at
> home and have a backup of our files and a DR just in case we need to
> reinstall.
>
>   It doesn´t seem that there is any free or open source tool that fit
> the bill. Or they are just for file backups or just for DR backups
> (normally through a live CD or PXE).
>
>   If I have to go for a commercial tool, at work we have tested BESR
> from Symantec and have those two things for a cheap price and also
> allows to recover an image of a machine over a different hardware.
>
>  Anyone knows about any free or open source tool?

I have used MondoArchive with great results for a DR Recovery tool on
the open source side of the house. I don't think I have ever used it to
recover individual files, but I think it can. The website is being REAL
slow for me right now so I am not positive. I also run Amanda on those
machines that people tend to "accidently" delete stuff on. And even RCS
on those files they trash regularly on an 'oops'. So I can't really say
I've used it to recover an individual file.

At work (commercial) we use Arkeia and I have only good stuff to say
about both their backup and their recovery, but I know you have to pay
extra for the various clients and the bits (like bare metal recovery),
so I don't know if that will fit your bill. It will do just what you
asked, but the price might be prohibitive.

Nick