[Novalug] Can you chain KVM switches??

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Fri Oct 7 13:00:41 EDT 2011

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, daniel wrote:

> Heh... Given that he wants to string together old and
> inexpensive gear to make due, it's quite likely he doesn't have
> the resources to throw at doing it "a better way."

 	That and worse -- I just recently did fork out for a new
PC, which I hope may last for whatever may be left of my time.
(Thanks again, John!)

 	And in fact, I do already have a virtual machine on it,
running XP to handle my legacy proprietary map software; and yes,
indeed, it's much handier than, for instance, having a second
hard drive and dual-booting, let alone a whole separate PC.

 	There are also other considerations. One is that I
make very little use of the laptop and netbook when I'm at home
(and not much when I'm not, actually); but when I do use them, I
want them reasonably up to date, and equipped with most of my
usual browsers, newsreader & subscriptions, etc.

 	Another consideration is that, even after a dozen-odd
years of running linux all but exclusively, and with a couple of
external USB hard drives, I'm still perfectly capable of snarling
up a machine so badly that I can't even get it online to howl for
help -- or managing to annihilate the one thing I don't yet have
a backup of. With separate machines, I can occasionally put an
older one in as temporary main for a week or so, by the end of
which time I can be confident there isn't much not on it that
should be.

> I know I have a pretty nice set up at home, but things have
> changed since I set it all up... I couldn't replace it if I
> needed to right now... as much as I would like to.

 	And, of course, it's in just the natural would-be quiet
time that HP comes along promising to iterate Moore's Law
exponentially in the next couple of years ....

--
Beartooth Staffwright
Better to hunt, while strength lasts,