[Novalug] Laptop ram: 8 GB?

jecottrell3@comcast.net jecottrell3@comcast.net
Mon Oct 3 10:44:19 EDT 2011

Indeed. It's quite easy to end up with zillions of tabs open, as you hit all the links from one page, opening new tabs. And if they all use flash....well, the memory goes even quicker.

JIM

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Franklin" <franklin@elfie.org>
To: "Peter Larsen" <plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com>
Cc: "NOVALUG" <novalug@calypso.tux.org>, RogerB@bronord.com
Sent: Monday, October 3, 2011 10:18:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Novalug] Laptop ram: 8 GB?

I concur.  My current desktop came with 4GB and two empty sockets.  I immediately upped it to 12GB.  I'm also running multiple VMs, browsers (which are bigger pigs than the VMs!), and do photo editing.  With 12GB it is rare that I swap, but not unheard of.  If I only had 4GB of RAM, memory would be better measured in RPMs, not nanoseconds.

My current laptop is 5 years old, and only supports 3GB of RAM.  (Yes, it's maxed out.)  I can run 1 VM on it, if I am careful to keep its memory footprint small.

My next laptop will have 8GB of RAM or more.

jf

On Oct 3, 2011, at 10:07 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:

> 8GB has been my laptop (work) standard for years now...
>
> You can NEVER have too much ram in my opinion.
>

> --
> Best Regards
>  Peter Larsen
>
> Wise words of the day:
> I'm going to Boston to see my doctor.  He's a very sick man.
> -- Fred Allen
>
> On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 18:35 -0400, Roger W. Broseus wrote:
>> Roy,
>>
>> One additional thought. I find that I'd never use 8 GB of ram. I can
>> have multiple applications open and never come close to that. Usually
>> it's at less than 1 GB and no use of swap. And here's a fun test I
>> just did. I was using .7 GB of ram with multiple apps open, e.g.,
>> Thunderbird and FireFox.
>>
>> Started VirtualBox and am now running, in virtual machines, both Win-7
>> and XP. Usage climbed to 2.9 GB with negligible use of swap.
>>
>> So, unless you are using an application that really requires a lot of
>> ram, you might just save some bucks. I run 2 GB on my ThinkPad and can
>> even do Win-7 in a virtual machine without topping out.
>>
>> (Throw no bricks.)
>> --
>> --
>> Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
>>    Email: RogerB@bronord.com
>>    Web Site: www.bronord.com

John Franklin
franklin@elfie.org
ICBM: 39º 01' 58.4"N 77º 24' 49.6"W Z+84m