[Novalug] Laptops for Saturday

Mark A. Metz mametz@aol.com
Sat Nov 12 08:56:05 EST 2011

Got it. Since ultimately my goal is to have an easily recoverable "system" with "data" back up to a home NAS or fileserver RAID may not be a good solution for me. I guess physically separating the "system" from the "data" with two drives is a good way to go.
You lost me a bit with /swap and /tmp. I'm aware they're there, but don't know how they're used or how much space they need.

Jason Kohles <jkohles@palantir.com> wrote:

There are other kinds of RAID, but with only two disks you are limited to RAID0 or RAID1. RAID1 gives you two copies of your data, so you only get half the space, but you get more reliability, because you don't lose all your stuff if one drive fails. RAID0 gives you more space, by combining the two drives into one big volume, but you get less reliability, because you lose all your stuff if either drive fails.

--
Jason Kohles
Palantir Technologies | UNIX Systems Engineer
Jkohles@palantir.com | 703.957.5784

From: Mark A. Metz [mailto:mametz@aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 05:09 AM
To: American Dave Kline <novalug@soupy.org>; novalug@calypso.tux.org <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Subject: Re: [Novalug] Laptops for Saturday

Thanks for the info Dave. I like the idea of more space over redundancy so maybe RAID is not a good option for me (At least not RAID1. I guess there are other kinds?).
I like the idea if having the second drive available for "data." Maybe somebody today can help me with that setup.
If any one else is tuning in, I'm in the area now. So if you need help early thus morning, I'm ready.

American Dave Kline <novalug@soupy.org> wrote:

Hi Mark:

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:59:46AM -0500, Mark A. Metz wrote:
> My laptop has two hard drives (320GB and 500GB). What's the best way
> to configure and how? RAID the drives into one, put OS and apps on one
> and /home on the other, something else (Although I realize things like
> this might be possible, I don't really know how to do it or what the
> implications are.)?

You have a few options, depending on what you wish to do. For
reliability, you could combine them as a RAID1 array, but you will only
have a 320G volume, discarding the remainder of the 500G drive. If
you'd simply like to tie the drives together, they can be combined with
LVM. You can even 'mirror' some LV's across both drives with LVM, and
make use of the remainder of space on the 500G drive.

I typically will use one drive as a system drive, and the other as a place
to hold things like virtual machine images, etc. There's no additional
reliability by doing this, but it does allow you to keep certain tasks
on certain spindles.

Best regards,
-A. Dave