[Novalug] CentOS Stagant?

Sean Spurrier sean.spurrier@gmail.com
Sun May 22 17:41:03 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM, William Warren <
hescominsoon@emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:

>  On 5/22/2011 3:52 PM, Jamie Duncan wrote:
>

>>>  P.P.P.S. CentOS seems to have stagnated. If this bothers you, try
>> Scientific Linux, another RHEL clone, but with a bit more tinkering.
>>

>  Actualy CentOS 6.0 is in QA and due (barring any issues) for release on
> June 6.
> http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa

>  Centos devs have really been having issues.  they are months behind on
> everything.  They refuse to accept help form the community as well...as a
> matter of fact they usually rudely reject offers of help.  RH also has been
> doing some weirdness with their packaging and while cent says it's not
> affecting them their issues didn't really get going until after RH started
> with their obfuscating of their patches...

Just to clear the air here there is no "wierdness" with packages in general,
the changes in RHEL 6 are to the kernel package only what they have done is
to combine any kernel patches directly into the tarball inside the source
rpm .  This only impacts distributions which are trying to CHANGE the RH
kernel by injecting their own patches/changes such as non upstream
enhancements for DB performance?

The reason I bring this up is that it is well documented that the "clone"
distributions like CENTOS and Scientific would not have an issue with this
due to the fact they are trying to exactly copy what RH puts out.  SciLinux
uses roughly the same process for pulling the RH srpms removing trademark
info and rolling their own distro as Centos does...so if SciLinux is not
being impacted by the kernel changes that leads you to believe that the
problem is not with changes upstream but with the process in use at a
specific distribution.

Personally I like Centos and I am indifferent about both their distro and
SciLinux, and if you read the articles below you will see what the real
target of the kernel rpm changes was.

Information on this has been well documented here:

General article on the changes: http://www.linux-mag.com/id/8414/
How this fits in with the GPL: http://lwn.net/Articles/432012/

Sean R. Spurrier